02 May, 2010

An Introduction

Greetings, 你好, 안녕, printf("hello"), etc.

I'm a sarcastic, obnoxious, and somewhat lost 22-year-old that just completed his undergraduate degree in computer science after four years at the University of Michigan. I have an unhealthy obsession of dinosaurs, kimchi, and lamps. I love music, frisbee, food, and any pretentious bullshit that makes me better than you.

I am taking a road trip out to San Diego with two of my University friends, Michael and Dan. Michael and I are going to be working in San Diego this summer. Dan is just bored. We began actually planning this trip about a week ago, and quickly realized that by the end of the trip it's quite likely we'll all just end up killing each other. A betting pool is going around that Dan will be the first to go, thus inspiring the name of this blog.



We rewind about six months or so. The three of us are overwhelmed with exams and projects and my life is an absolute mess. Dan proposes a trip to Asia in May. It's a fun and happy thought that we entertain for a while. March and April roll around, and we suddenly find ourselves too lazy to follow through with the trip. Lame. I am determined that I definitely needed a trip before I started working for the summer. After convincing some crazy Asian parents, we settle on the idea of a Journey to the West. Sun Wukun style, but not really.

The current plan is to swing through Chicago to St. Louis to Boulder to Vancouver, and all the way down to San Diego; making several stops as desired along the way. It's hardly the fastest way to get there, but it should be a good time. The criterion used to decide our stops is a holistic scale considering how "hickish" the area is, how the weather is, how much out of the way it is, is it Seattle, and the statistic wikipedia gives us about regarding percentage of Asians in the area. For Dan's sake I should clarify that the last category is so Michael and I don't die in the Amurrrica part of this country that we'll be driving through. Yes, that sounds good.

I'm presently in the process of packing stuff and getting my shit together for the summer. To be quite honest, I really wish I had a few extra weeks for the trip. With graduation and people leaving and everything else that's going on, things are coming down way too fast; I'm not ready at all. Thursday is the absolute latest Dan is willing to leave, Michael and I are perfectly content leaving slightly later. So we're leaving Thursday.

Assuming our cameras and laptop don't get eaten by bears along the way, we'll hopefully be posting photos and entries along the entire journey.

I'm in Livonia for the evening and should get back to hanging out with the brother. So I'm off for now.

Cheers,

Randy

2 comments:

  1. Lol, you stopped by Chicago? You could've visited, Milwaukee is only a couple hours' detour. :-P

    ReplyDelete